Bogofilter on an imap server

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 31 22:40:36 CEST 2007

On Friday 31 Aug 2007, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I've been running bogofilter for some time with kmail.  Now, however, all
> > mail is coming from an imap server (dovecot+procmail), so I'd like to be
> > able to run it at server level.
> >
> > Each user has his own bogofilter database.  Is it sufficient to put
> >
> >       :0
> >
> >       * ? /usr/bin/bogofilter
> >       spam/.
> >
> > at the beginning of each .procmailrc?  That's what is recommended in the
> > document I found on-line, but I'm not sure I understand it.  What tells
> > it where to file the spam?  Do I set a destination line in the usual way?
>
> Don't use it.  It neglects to filter the body through bogofilter,
> doesn't do unsure treatment or error recovery.
>
> Where did you find it? Please tell the author of the site to correct it
> or take it down, and please Cc: me; if it's somewhere in the official
> bogofilter pages (www.bogofilter.org or bogofilter.sourceforge.net),
> just follow up on this post and we'll correct it.
>
> WRT delivery, check the procmailrc(5) man page, the trailing /. is
> special to procmail.

I now have bogofilter handling mail on my imap server.  It references the
database already built in the user's home directory.  Here is what I needed
to add to .procmailrc:

:0fw
| bogofilter -e -p

:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

:0:

:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

:0:

:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

The ':0e' stanzas create a neat escape on error.  These recipes are for use on
a maildir format server.  If used with mbox mail the trailing '/' should be
removed from each destination line.

Although this hasn't been the heaviest day for spam, I can confirm that both
spam and unsure messages are being processed correctly.

Hope that helps others.

Anne