Problems with Asian Spam

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 09:19:31 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:49:40 -0500 Thomas Anderson
<tanderso at oac-design.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 19:25 +0000, John G Walker wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:28:36 -0500 Tom Anderson
> > <tanderso at oac-design.com> wrote:
> >
> > > You can use JavaScript to obfuscate the addresses you post to
> > > your websites.  For instance, instead of using:
> >
> > This sort of thing is useful, and I have used it myself for several
> > years. But I don't think it's true any more that it confuses robots.
> > They've got very sophisticated recently,
>
> Unless the robot has a complete JavaScript interpreter built-in, it
> will not figure out the address from the code given.  I'm not saying
> that they can't have an interpreter, but I highly doubt it.  They'd
> rather go for the low-hanging fruit by parsing plain-text than bog
> down their systems interpreting JavaScript.
>
> Tom

The logic of this speculating is quite correct. But the fact remains
that email addresses on the web site I run - all defined in the way you
propose - are now thoroughly embedded in spam lists.

The only way to prevent receiving spam is a decent spam filter like
bogofilter,

--
 All the best,
 John