New software uploaded [was: Problems with Asian Spam]

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Nov 22 21:46:38 CET 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 19:34, Tom Anderson wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Tom. Bearing in mind that I'm processing mail directly downloaded to
> > Kmail, how do I reprocess an unsure through bogofilter to see if it's now
> > detected as spam, that is, after training bogofilter with the unsure.
> >
> > I'll have a look at bfproxy. Would this work in my situation, with mail
> > processed by bogofilter which is directly downloaded to Kmail?
>
> Not as easy to do directly from Kmail.  The model I use is to forward
> emails as attachments to myself, which then sends it through the mail
> server and procmail again.  I suppose you could put bfproxy or a similar
> script in front of bogofilter within Kmail, since Kmail is essentially
> acting like procmail in this case.  Alternatively, you could probably
> rewrite a few lines so that it works on the command line.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom. Ok. I've sent the spam to myself, forwarded as an attachment. first
time it turned up in the unsure box rather than the inbox. Second run put it
straight into my spamcheck box, thus correctly identified as spam. Sorry for
my ignorance, but when I forward as an attachment, is bogofilter scanning the
attachment just as it would with the the original e-mail?

Regarding your scripts. I've not much experience with scripts, and often
unsure where to put them, and how to run them. I appreciate that your
probably busy with stuff, but if you have the time, how should I go about
using the bfproxy one with Kmail? You say that it needs to go before
bogofilter, but I'm not sure how to set this up. It's no problem if you don't
have the time.

Nigel.