Cannot join environment?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Mar 29 16:23:31 CEST 2006

Bill Wohler wrote:
> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:40:58 -0800
>> Bill Wohler wrote:
>>
>>>   bogoutil[9016]: cannot join environment: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH:
>>>   Database environment version mismatch
>> This question was answered last December.  Googling for "cannot join
>> environment" provides the following info:
>
> I missed it. I must have used too much of the above error in my
> search ;-).
>
>> The best thing to do is, using the old bogoutil,
>
> When you're using a distro, it's too late--the old bogoutil is gone.
> But this doesn't seem to have been a problem in this case. But it
> seems it would be a good idea for you and the distro maintainers to
> coordinate or think about in the future.

Well, here's one option: use bogofilter-sqlite (however Etch calls it). Its
on-disk-format hasn't changed in a long time.

What confuses me however is that an update from Berkeley DB 4.4.X to 4.4.Y
certainly shouldn't trigger problems like you have seen.

So far however, removing the so-called environments before the update should
prevent such issues, and if bf_compact didn't complain and removed the
problems, you're fine (and so is your database). :-)