DB_INIT_LOCK deadlocks?

John xd890cc2b41c31d74 at f4n.org
Sun Jan 29 10:42:27 CET 2006

Trying to compile bogofilter 1.0.1 on OpenBSD 3.7 (macppc) with:
Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December  3, 2003)
(installed from OpenBSD packages).

It deadlocks at "checking if Berkeley DB supports shared
environments" in what looks like an infinite select-loop:
  CALL select(0,0,0,0,0xffffb948)
  RET  select 0

It appears as if it locks in the e->open() call. In bfadtestdir, it
creates:
    8192 Jan 29 10:11 __db.001
  270336 Jan 29 10:11 __db.002
  368640 Jan 29 10:11 __db.003
but nothing else.

Commenting out DB_INIT_LOCK in the test code makes it configure just
fine, and abviously so does --disable-dbshared-test, which is marked
as "unsafe".

make check fails t.ctype (as we already know) and skips t.leakfind and
t.valgrind, the rest are OK. Also, the compiled bogofilter manages to
create a new wordlist without any obvious problems.

Is it OK to run bogofilter with an "unsafe" option (I want
stability!), or must I try a different BDB version, or ...?

Sorry if the answer can be found in the archives. I didn't manage to
find anything using Gmane.