Berkeley db vers. 4.4.20

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jan 18 01:58:49 CET 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:41:37 +0100
Matthias Andree wrote:

> "djh " <henman at henman-np.b-eng.it.to-be.co.jp> writes:
>
> > But, am I deluding myself?  Or does bogofilter support db 4.4.20?
> >
> > In the bogofilter source file:
> >    	   			  		 		 datastore_db.c
> >

> > There is only mention of berkeley db up to 4.2 (looked like one
> > mention of 4.3).
>
> Yes, you're lucky, and we too, because the 4.3 -> 4.4 changes did not
> affect the interfaces that bogofilter uses.
>
> End users need to perform a log file format update when updating
> Berkeley DB 4.3.X and older -> 4.4 though. (It doesn't matter for
> first-time-ever installs, i. e. when there is not a database yet.)
>
> Most of the database code was written in the time between db 4.1 and 4.2
> releases, and most comments are from that time. I paid more attention to
> get README.db and the code right and may have missed updating some of
> the comments in the long code. All version checks for 4.3 checks were if
> the ">=" kind, so we'd just blindly attempt 4.4, and it worked out well.
>
> > I presume I was lucky and there were no interface changes in db 4.4.20, but
> > I have to be mistaken.
> >
> > Is there any way to test this?
>
> As David mentioned, "make check" in bogofilter, but we might see some
> false alarms, i. e. "FAIL" results, if there are Cygwin
> incompatibilities, because neither David nor I have done testing on
> Cygwin.

True about Cygwin!  A week or so there was a bogofilter/cygwin success
posted to this list so I googled "bogofilter +cygwin" and found a large
number of hits.  Evidently there's a significant number of people
running bogofilter under cygwin.  That we haven't heard about it here
indicates the combo works without notable problems.