image-only spam -- ideas, what to do?

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us
Thu Dec 14 12:54:32 CET 2006

Quoting John Villalovos <sodarock at gmail.com>:

> On 12/12/06, Jimmy Tang <jtang at tchpc.tcd.ie> wrote:
>> though it doesnt directly solve the problem, i find most inlined images
>> have a link to somewhere and stripsearch just works for mails like that.
>
> Personally, I find that most inline spam, that ends up in my unsure
> folder, is an image that contains a stock pump and dump scheme or
> something else along those lines.  The content is only in the image.
> It also typically contains random sentences from various sources.
>
> So stripsearch would have no benefit, that I can tell, for something
>  like that.

Ditto John.  Although I am seeing more of these types of spams getting
caught.  My error rate has increased somewhat because of them (I
think).  For example, instead of pulling one or two legit emails from
spambox per month out of 400-500000, I am pulling 4 or 5 ;-] The
amount of spam we recieve has also increased about the same time I
started recieving these stock quote spams.  Must be some money in
these.  Although, I cant for the life of me imagine anyone dumb enough
to bite on these spams.

--
Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator