Spam in images

Tony L. Svanstrom tony at moon.pp.se
Mon Aug 7 22:31:27 CEST 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 the voices made Bill McClain write:

BM> Of those that I have seen, the image is stock-promotion info. If they are
BM> trying to create buzz or get people to buy the stock, perhaps they don't need
BM> a clickable link. Or maybe the spammer doesn't know what he is doing. You see
BM> a lot of that.

 Well, either X people get your e-mails with clickable links, or Y people get
your e-mails without links.
 X is clearly smaller than Y, and the ones of those Y that take actions are
more interested and people just clicking on something to figure out what it's
all about.
 That could mean that the profit from linkless spam is greater...

 There's more than just math behind it all, because those e-mails that do get
past spamfilters don't have to compete over the users attention with as much
spam as those spam that get into unprotected mailboxes; that might be enough to
make it a profitable solution to the "problem" with spamfilters.

	/Tony
--