Seg Fault

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri May 20 23:20:22 CEST 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:37:23 -0400 (EDT)
David N Murray wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been running BF (currently v0.15.8) for quite some time with no
> problems.  Earlier in the week, we had a disk failure.  I believe I've
> restored everything, but now BF is broken.
>
> I run BF under qmail-scanner.pl.  I've had problems in the past with BF
> seg-faulting and I've modified qmail-scanner to make sure the mail goes
> through anyway. If BF fails to complete, I save the message in a folder so
> I can review it later.
>
> Currently, BF is seg-faulting on _all_ messages.
>
> When I run BF on a failed message (interactively, as root), it runs fine.
> My normal processing options are "-3 -p -I".  As root, no problem.
>
> The first thing that jumped to mind was I'm running out of memory.  I
> doubled the qmail-smtpd softlimit from 16M to 32M and its still not
> working.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm stumped.
>
> TIA,
> Dave Murray

Hello Dave,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.  0.15.8 is a very old release - Oct
2003.  Segfaulting on all messages is very bad.  Are core files being
generated?  Given a core file and the corresponding message, something
useful might be learned.  However, given the age of that release, I'd
suggest upgrading to the current stable release, which is 0.94.12.

Before doing anything else, I'd recommend running "bogoutil -d
wordlist.db" to dump your BerkeleyDB database to a text file.  This
will allow you build a new, clean wordlist.  In fact, bogofilter (or
BerkeleyDB) _could_ be failing due to a database problem, so running
"bogoutil -l" to load a new database (from the text file) _might_ fix
the problem.

Have you run db_verify to check for database problems?

HTH,

David

CC: David Murray (who's not subscribed to the list)