wrap and utf-8 in vim -- what's the matter?

Matej Cepl cepl at surfbest.net
Sat May 7 05:49:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

I spend most of the time these days in vim editing files with

        set wrap linebreak textwidth=0

(either marking up some data for qualitative analysis -- developing special
set of tools for that -- or writing in wiki -- my blog uses wiki markup).
Generally everything works well except for wiki, because it is in UTF-8.
When inserting new text into already written long paragraph (actually one
line wrapped to more display lines) vim frequently skips over letters and
thus corrupts the text.  Especially spaces and other non-alphanumeric
characters (full stop, command, etc.) are usual perpetrators of this crime.

Is it something screwed up with my configuration or vim 6.3-71 has this IMHO
rather elementary bug not fixed?

Thanks a lot,

        Matěj

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

I am a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect `history' to be
anything but a `long defeat' -- though it contains (and in
a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or
glimpses of final victory.
      -- J.R.R. Tolkien