too quiet

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Mar 19 02:01:06 CET 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:13:26 +0000 (GMT)
Adrian Urquhart wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, David Relson wrote:
>
> > G'day,
> >
> > The list has been awfully quiet since the release of 0.94.1 two days
> > ago.  It almost makes me wonder if the list is done.
> >
> > The only problem reported for the new release has been attributed to a
> > hiccup "make -j".  Other than that there's been no news either good or
> > bad regarding the new release.
> >
> > So, folks, how's it going?
> >
> > Is anybody else out there using it?  If so, what OS are you using, i.e.
> > "uname -a", and did you download from source or rpm?
> >

> Hi David
>
> I'm using it on FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE, compiled from source in
> non-transaction mode (but I intend to change that). The only problem I'm
> having, which appeared after the upgrade to 0.94, is that running
> bogfilter for training (users send their mails to a global spam@ and
> ham@ address) no longer works when using popen() but is fine from the
> command line. I'm assuming it's my fault and am currently working on it.
>
> Other than that, it works fine for me - so many thanks for all the
> effort you and others have put into this. By setting my spam threshold
> to 0.75 (with a reasonable well trained database - most of my mail is
> from lists) I only see the odd spam get through. Disable bogofilter and
> I get a couple of hundred per day. If there are any false positives then
> nobody has yet complained about being unable to reach me.
>
> We initially tried to use bogofilter on a domain (actually, many
> domains) wide basis but this didn't work. Now, anyone who wants spam
> filtering gets their own db and a generic spam at hostdomain.com address
> for training. So long as they send the spam mail as an attachment, the
> recipient program figures out who originally got the spam and passes the
> attached message to bogofilter for training. Works great. The MTA is
> qmail with delivery via .qmail files. If a user wants to, spam tagged
> mails can be deleted at the server.
>
> -Adrian

Hi Adrian,

... and yet another method of deployment :-)

When I learned of Bayesian filters, my goal was handling the 100 spam a
day for my small domain.  The count's up 5 to 8-fold (depending on
phase of the moon, or something), and I've gotten to know folks around
the globe.

'Tis a good deal!