too quiet

Adrian Urquhart adrian at devnet-uk.net
Sat Mar 19 01:13:26 CET 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, David Relson wrote:

> G'day,
>
> The list has been awfully quiet since the release of 0.94.1 two days
> ago.  It almost makes me wonder if the list is done.
>
> The only problem reported for the new release has been attributed to a
> hiccup "make -j".  Other than that there's been no news either good or
> bad regarding the new release.
>
> So, folks, how's it going?
>
> Is anybody else out there using it?  If so, what OS are you using, i.e.
> "uname -a", and did you download from source or rpm?

Hi David

I'm using it on FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE, compiled from source in
non-transaction mode (but I intend to change that). The only problem I'm
having, which appeared after the upgrade to 0.94, is that running
bogfilter for training (users send their mails to a global spam@ and
ham@ address) no longer works when using popen() but is fine from the
command line. I'm assuming it's my fault and am currently working on it.

Other than that, it works fine for me - so many thanks for all the
effort you and others have put into this. By setting my spam threshold
to 0.75 (with a reasonable well trained database - most of my mail is
from lists) I only see the odd spam get through. Disable bogofilter and
I get a couple of hundred per day. If there are any false positives then
nobody has yet complained about being unable to reach me.

We initially tried to use bogofilter on a domain (actually, many
domains) wide basis but this didn't work. Now, anyone who wants spam
filtering gets their own db and a generic spam at hostdomain.com address
for training. So long as they send the spam mail as an attachment, the
recipient program figures out who originally got the spam and passes the
attached message to bogofilter for training. Works great. The MTA is
qmail with delivery via .qmail files. If a user wants to, spam tagged
mails can be deleted at the server.

-Adrian