Excessive memory usage: bug?

JUANVAQUEROPONC JUANVAQUEROPONC at terra.es
Thu Mar 17 00:00:59 CET 2005

David Relson wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:52:21 GMT JUANVAQUEROPONC wrote:
> > I did:
> > formail <spam.mbx -s bogofilter -s
> > and everything went OK. Then I did:
> > for i in ~/Mail/*; do formail <"$i" -s bogofilter -n; done
> > and started to get (lots of):
> > bogofilter: (db) DB->get(TXN=0,  'news' ), err: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> > and after a while bogofilter process hung and I had to kill it.
> >
> > Does anyone have this problem?
>
> Sounds like a problem with transactions :-<

Not probably since I'm using Debian unstable bogofilter_0.94.0-1 on x86
and it has transactions desactivated by default, hasn't it?

> Which version of bogofilter are you running?
> If you're not running an 0.93.x release other than 0.93.5, it's old and out of date.
>
> Try this command sequence to get more information on what's happening:
>
>   rm -f $HOME/.bogofilter/*
>   formail <spam.mbx -s bogofilter -s -v
>   for i in ~/Mail/* ; do
>     echo "### $i ###"
>     formail < "$i" -s bogofilter -n -v
>   done
>
> Then see if you can do it with a smaller test case, i.e. create
> small.mbx with the first 10 messages from spam.mbx and create a Mail2
> dir with the messages up to the first error message.  If you can cause
> a problem like that, send a .tgz file with small.mbx and Mail2/* to
> Matthias and me and we'll see what's going on.
>
> The current release is 0.94.0 which can be downloaded from
> sourceforge.  Since 0.94.0 defaults to having transactions disabled,
> you'll need to include option --enable-transactions when you ./
> configure.  Alternately, if you don't want transactions, leave off the
> --enable-transactions option and bogofilter will work well for you.

I'll try CVS and the other tests cases probably this weekend.

Matthias Andree wrote:
> - any other error messages, disk out of space?

No other error messages. And I have lots of disk space.

> - any other bogofilter related processes running at the same time?

Bogofilter was the only running process. I deactivated the entry of
bogofilter in procmail.