Excessive memory usage: bug?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Mar 16 13:06:45 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:52:21 GMT
JUANVAQUEROPONC wrote:

> I did:
> formail <spam.mbx -s bogofilter -s
> and everything went OK. Then I did:
> for i in ~/Mail/*; do formail <"$i" -s bogofilter -n; done
> and started to get (lots of):
> bogofilter: (db) DB->get(TXN=0,  'news' ), err: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> and after a while bogofilter process hung and I had to kill it.
>
> Does anyone have this problem?

Hi Juan,

Sounds like a problem with transactions :-<  Which version of
bogofilter are you running?  If you're not running an 0.93.x release
other than 0.93.5, it's old and out of date.

Try this command sequence to get more information on what's happening:

  rm -f $HOME/.bogofilter/*
  formail <spam.mbx -s bogofilter -s -v
  for i in ~/Mail/* ; do
    echo "### $i ###"
    formail < "$i" -s bogofilter -n -v
  done

Then see if you can do it with a smaller test case, i.e. create
small.mbx with the first 10 messages from spam.mbx and create a Mail2
dir with the messages up to the first error message.  If you can cause
a problem like that, send a .tgz file with small.mbx and Mail2/* to
Matthias and me and we'll see what's going on.

The current release is 0.94.0 which can be downloaded from
sourceforge.  Since 0.94.0 defaults to having transactions disabled,
you'll need to include option --enable-transactions when you ./
configure.  Alternately, if you don't want transactions, leave off the
--enable-transactions option and bogofilter will work well for you.

HTH,