maildrop [was: Fatal error]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Mar 8 01:31:38 CET 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:10:09 +0100
Matthias Andree wrote:

> Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> > On 26-Feb-2005, Mark Constable wrote:
> >> Most suggestions involve turning off the mailserver which
> >> is close to impossible in my case... it's way too busy.
> >
> > Recovering bogofilter's database doesn't require turning off the mail
> > server; you only need to disable bogofilter invocation.
>
> Which is another selling point for maildrop: chmod +t ~ (mark the home
> directory sticky) and it takes the fast way out with EX_TEMPFAIL,
> without doing any program invocations or deliveries, chmod -t ~ to
> resume deliveries -- all this for a particular user. This makes it
> possible to hack around in a user's bogofilter environment without
> stopping the mailserver, for instance.

Unfortunately, maildrop doesn't seem to support a shared wordlist.
With procmail, I can use "bogofilter -pelu" (for auto-updating), and
have my wordlist in /var/spool/bogofilter/ and it works fine.  I
couldn't do that with maildrop, which is a shame because the syntax of
the maildroprc file is very nice.