TXN vs NON-TXN [was: Bogofilter-0.94.0 - new current release]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Mar 6 17:50:12 CET 2005

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:48:53 +0100
Matthias Andree wrote:

> R Kimber <rkimber at ntlworld.com> writes:
>
> > I converted to transactions because I thought that was necessary for
> > bogofilter in the future.
>
> You can just leave things as they are. My personal opinion is that we
> should remove everything that is non-transactional because anything that
> falls short of providing atomicity and durability guarantees will trash
> your database if interrupted at the wrong moment.
>
> The switch to default to non-TXN was made by David without my consent,
> and we currently diverge on whether transactions should be default or
> no. I think they should, David is a more concerned about making
> bogofilter more complex to manage. No big deal, we'll let the users
> choose for now until we have reached a consensus and I have fixed the
> code to help with maintenance concerns. Resizing the environment is one
> of the large remaining issues.

What Matthias says is true.

He and I _do_ disagree about transactions for Berkeley DB.

For sure they help ensure database integrity.  They also require
additional knowledge for managing the database environment.

As stated above, he would like bogofilter to support only transaction
mode for Berkeley DB, i.e. would like to see non-transaction mode
removed from bogofilter.

My thought is "non-transactions for ease of use and transactions for
users who are willing to learn to manage the Berkeley DB environment."