db_checkpoint shows troublesome for bf_copy

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Mar 2 22:49:09 CET 2005

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:08:24 +0100
Lars Bungum wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I started to use the synchronization scheme put forward by Dave
> (thanks), but I ran into a problem with db_checkpoint.
>
> Firstly it was called db_checkpoint-4.2 on my sytem, but this I
> resolved.  It did however output errors on both Dave's and Mattias'
> versions of the script:
>
> # ./bf_copy.sh -c bogodistrib bogodistrib2
> db_checkpoint: open: No such file or directory
> ls: bogodistrib/__db.*: No such file or directory
> 6478+0 records in
> 6478+0 records out
> 106135552 bytes transferred in 2.412323 secs (43997239 bytes/se
>
> (the db_checkpoint error is not about the filename
>
> #/local; db_checkpoint-4.2 -1h bogodistrib2
> db_checkpoint: open: No such file or directory
> )
>
> I don't really know what this file does, but the script seems otherwise
> to run fine, the database is copied (not tested, though).
>
> What should I do with this error?

Hi Lars,

Different distributions give different names to Berkeley DB's
utilities.  I've got db_checkpoint, while you've got
db_checkpoint-4.2.  I've also seen names like db4.2_checkpoint.

What operating system/distribution are you using?  Are your bogofilter
executables from a package (RPM, DEB, etc) or did you build from source?

Two ideas come to mind.  Modifying the bf_* scripts to fit your machine
would work or you could create symlinks for the scripts you need.

A third possibility for folks who build from source would be having
./configure determine utility names and generate bf_copy.sh from
bf_copy.sh.in.  To be honest, I don't know if this is feasible or
practical :-(

HTH,