Stripsearch

Chris Fortune cfortune at telus.net
Fri Jun 10 22:23:51 CEST 2005

> Stripsearch is a nice idea, but there are some problems with some lines :
>
> hostname: dhcp46-47.univ-tlse1.fr
> (line of an arpwatch report) is transformed in
> hostname: univ-tlse1.fr
>
> And now a question : have you try to use a "compiled" version of
> stripsearch ? is-it a good idea ?

ouch!  I will do some diff tests now.

compiled PERL is quicker to launch, but not quicker to process.  pre-compiled binary file is typically large, but not much larger
than the interpreted runtime binary process.  I believe that pre-compiling this script would offer a distinct advantage due to
quicker load time, depending on your available resources.   If you have a lot of RAM, then there is no advantage because the OS will
keep the page in memory for a while after it runs.  On my server, I receive an email every ten seconds, so the page never expires.
If you have little RAM and infrequent emails (and few CPU resources), then a pre-compiled binary is an advantage.  IMHO.  I think if
you run mod_perl then this all happens automatically anyways.