simplicity vs safety with complexity

john johnvd at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 26 20:59:47 CET 2005

Same here, the upgrade was a total mess (aptitude update + database
version mismatch +
no backups = end of story). Which was sorted out with the help of the
good people of this very mailing list.
Everything is working fine again now, and I learned a lot from it. But
it took way too much time..
Now that it's fixed I don't mind, but at the time I decided to switch to
spamassassin. Didn' t like it much though.
Bogofilter is now at 0.93.4 and running smoothly.

I think the default (debian build) should have transactions disabled ,
then the hardcore users can install the source and compile one with
transactions enabled. The transactions logs need to be purged as well,
so that's probably already too much hassle for the average user.
Bogofilter was working just fine until the upgrade, and now it's running
just fine again. On the surface it makes no difference, with or without
transactions.
And being the only user on my system, personally I don't think I need a
professional database environment, just a wordlist will do nicely.

Even so, it's extremely kewl that you guys ask for the opinion of the
bogofilter users ...