bogofilter maintenance

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jan 16 14:22:34 CET 2005

Hi,

The message you report, "DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment
version mismatch" is printed by this segment of bogofilter code:

    ret = env->dbe->open(env->dbe, directory,
	    dbenv_defflags | DB_CREATE | flags, /* mode */ 0664);
    if (ret != 0) {
	print_error(__FILE__, __LINE__, "DB_ENV->open, err: %s", db_strerror(ret));

Looking at a copy of db-4.3.31.NC source code, this message is produced for

    DB_VERSION_MISMATCH (-30974)/* Environment version mismatch. */

Googling for DB_VERSION_MISMATCH, I found a page titled "Berkeley DB
4.3.21 & 4.3.27 Change Log" with this comment:

    # Add a new return error from the DB_ENV->PrivoxyWindowOpen() method
    call, DB_VERSION_MISMATCH, which is returned in the case of an
    application compiled under one version of Berkeley DB attempting to
    open an environment created under a different version.  [#9077]

This looks to me like an issue with Debian builds of bogofilter and
Berkeley DB.  Have you queried the Debian project about this problem?

The proper procedure for upgrading bogofilter on Debian is likely:

   1 - dump the wordlist, i.e. "bogoutil -d wordlist.db > wordlist.txt"
   2 - install the new Berkeley DB and bogofilter
   3 - create a new wordlist, i.e.
          mkdir newdir
          bogoutil -l newdir/wordlist.db < wordlist.txt

HTH,

David

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:22:10 +0100
prlwytzkofski2000 at xs4all.nl wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am wondering whether there is a recommended way to keep bogofilter
> running smoothly ?
> Maybe a periodic cronjob which purges old data from the tables to
> prevent them from growing too big, ensure consistency, stuff like that ?
>
> Also, is there some automated way to prevent what happened the other day ?
> After upgrading bogofilter on debian testing to 0.93.3.1, I ran into
> unrecoverable problems with the DB  :
> bogofilter: DB_ENV->open, err: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment
> version mismatch
> After trying some of the recovery suggestions from the website and
> suggestions from bogoutil itself (which all failed), I just gave up.
>
> This really freaked me out. Before this happened, I was extremely happy
> with bogofilter, it's fast, and the spam recognition percentage was
> basically 100%.
> A rollback seemed like a good idea, but, for the life of me, I just
> couldn't remember the name of the website with the old Debian packages.
> Couldn't find it on debian.org either. Maybe it's secret information or
> something ...
> So, I decided to switch to spamassassin, but I didn't like it very much
> and it's slow. Compared to bogofilter, it's a hog. Therefore,
> back to bogofilter and accept that I had to start from scratch and
> rebuild, retrain etc.
> Things are getting back together, but now I want to prevent this from
> happening ever again.

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson at osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800