Perl MIME::Parser required by bogofilter RPM?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Jan 10 00:00:07 CET 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 21:34:57 +0000 (UTC)
Roger H.Goun wrote:

> I successfully built bogofilter-0.93.4-1.i386.rpm from the source RPM on a
> Fedora Core 3 i386 system. When I try to install the resulting package I get:
>
> [root at kiera i386]# rpm -i bogofilter-0.93.4-1.i386.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         perl(MIME::Parser) is needed by bogofilter-0.93.4-1.i386
>
> This dependency failure doesn't occur when I install the pre-built binary RPM
> downloaded from SourceForge, so obviously I'm doing something wrong here.
>
> MIME::Parser doesn't seem to have been one of the Perl modules included in
> Fedora Core 3, and while I could obtain it from CPAN or from Dag's RPM
> repository, I'd prefer to understand what's going on here. The only thing I can
> find in the sources that requires MIME::Parser is contrib/mime.get.rfc822.
>
> Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks.
>
> -- Roger

Hi Roger,

Perl is used by some of the scripts in the contrib directory.  When I
build the RPMs for distribution, I do it on my Mandrake system which
understands a "_requires_exceptions" clause to _exclude_ a package from
the requirements, i.e. the "%define _requires_exceptions perl" line in
bogofilter.spec.  Evidently Fedora doesn't have that RPM extension,
hence you have the requirement.

HTH,