Bogofilter locks too much

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 4 22:52:28 CET 2005

"Karl O. Pinc" <kop at meme.com> writes:

> kop at mofo:~$ bogofilter -V
> bogofilter version 0.93.3.1
>     Database: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.21: (December  9,
> 2004)
>
> Debian Sarge
>
> I've a /etc/bogofilter.cf with
>
> db_lk_max_locks=65000
> db_lk_max_objects=65000
>
> and I still keep getting messages like
>
> (temporary failure. Command output: Lock table is out of available
> object entries bogofilter: (db) DB->get(TXN=134700544,  'Mio' ), err:
> Cannot allocate memory procmail: Program failure (3) of "bogofilter"
> procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded)

Karl,

it appears you have found a bug in bogofilter.

I know two ways to work around this;
either one alone is sufficient to fix your problem.

(1) run: bogoutil --remove-environment ~/.bogofilter

(2) remove the two lines you mentioned above from /etc/bogofilter.cf and
    create instead a ~/.bogofilter/DB_CONFIG file with lines like these
    (no spaces at the beginning of the lines):

    set_lk_max_locks 65000
    set_lk_max_objects 65000

bogoutil --recover does not pass down the right environment size but
uses 1024 locks and objects instead, same for automatic recovery. Ouch!

> Something's not right if I have to go to a 64bit integer worth of
> locks.

You haven't even exhausted 16 bits (0...65535) :-)

Hope that helps for the nonce.  bogoutil bugfix coming up later.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience!