Bogofilter locks too much

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Tue Jan 4 22:12:26 CET 2005

Hi,

kop at mofo:~$ bogofilter -V
bogofilter version 0.93.3.1
    Database: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.21: (December  9,
2004)

Debian Sarge

I've a /etc/bogofilter.cf with

db_lk_max_locks=65000
db_lk_max_objects=65000

and I still keep getting messages like

(temporary failure. Command output: Lock table is out of available
object entries bogofilter: (db) DB->get(TXN=134700544,  'Mio' ), err:
Cannot allocate memory procmail: Program failure (3) of "bogofilter"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded)

from a delivery recepie in ~/.procmailrc that runs bogofilter.

(This particular message has an attachement with, essentialy, an /etc/
passwd file containing several thousand entries.)

Something's not right if I have to go to a 64bit integer worth of
locks.

I just installed this bogofilter version and retrained it on at least
700MB of spam and 100MB or so of ham.  The wordlist file is 145MB.

I started by uncommenting the db_lk_max_locks (and objects) lines
in /etc/bogofilter.cf and kept having to increase the number
or my training would bomb from running out of locks.

(Also, I reconfigured postfix (max_mailbox_size IIRC) to remove the
rlimit on the file size because bogofilter was complaining the database
was within 16 pages of being too big.  As the default rlimit was 50MB
it was way too big.  So when I first turned on mail delivery I got
resource limit messages.  They weren't so clear, I had to read the code
to be sure just what sort of limit was being exceeded.  It as not
clear database size was exceeding an application set OS filessize
limit.  But then I've not much experience exceeding limits.)

Also, ~/.bogofilter has 610 files in it. (!)  Mostly log files
(log.0000000602) but there are a few:
__db.001
__db.002
__db.003
__db.004
__db.005
lockfile-d
lockfile-p
wordlist.db

others too.  Something seems to be spattering extra files about in
there.

Anything I can do at the moment to get this working?

Regards,
Karl <kop at meme.com>