Lock table is out of available locks

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Feb 28 05:13:14 CET 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:37:38 -0800
Robin Lynn Frank wrote:

> I noticed this in our mail log and was just curious as to the likely
> cause and what I might do to resolve it.
>
> /var/log/mail/info:Feb 27 07:42:28 omega postfix/local[11789]:
> 09F265331E: to=<#######@paradigm-omega.net>,
> orig_to=<fdzerzhinsky at paradigm-omega.com>, relay=local, delay=75,
> status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: Lock table is out of
> available locks bogofilter: (db) DB->get(TXN=134756088,  'without' ),
> err: Cannot allocate memory /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to filter message. )

Hello Robin,

Berkeley DB's transaction capability uses locks to allow multiple
programs to read/write the database.  The need is documented in the
README.db file and there's also information in bogofilter-faq.html.

Typically this happens when one or more copies of bogofilter is writing
to the wordlist at the same as bogoutil is dumping the wordlist.  Add/
modify the lock count in the DB_CONFIG file (if already present), or
create a DB_CONFIG file with the needed count.

Also remember that google is your friend.  A search for

  bogofilter +"lock table is out of available locks"

gives several relevant hits.

Regards,