verify vs recover

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Sat Feb 26 03:34:59 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Andree"
> Let me guess: later Red Hat or Fedora Core Linux, and a trusty processor
> that is either not Intel or not of the latest models?  Red Hat and
> Fedora Core threading setup is a mystery to me, and it adversely affects
> Berkeley DB usability; bug reports have been filed ages ago, to no
> avail...

The rpm database is a Berkeley DB and it too random leaves a __db.001, etc.
file hanging around.  The underscore files have to be deleted and the rpm
command reran. It usually works the second go round and this problem is
semi-rare.

rpm -i or -u, I think, does file locking the whole database.  bohoutil does
as well I gather.  Seems to me that if two programs (rpm and bogoutil)
exhibit the same occassional problem on just about every RH or FC distro,
the problem points to Berkeley.

Wonder how other distros store their package data and are they hit be the
same problem.

-eric wood