Wanting a pre-db4 bogofilter

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Thu Feb 24 14:51:47 CET 2005

Matthias Andree wrote:
> ad 1) The database changes have brought with them a document,
> doc/README.db, and the quick solution to your log file explosion is to
> run bogoutil --db-prune ~/.bogofilter/ from cron regularly, and perhaps
> use DB_CONFIG to fine tune the log size.

Thank you for that advice.

> The most recent, configure with this command:
> ./configure --disable-transactions to build.

I gets what Debian provides. Sure I could build from source
but I have dozens of servers to manage x a number of updates
per year. If I do this I'm inclined to try and find a version
from a year ago that I had a wonderful level of confidence in,
build it for all servers, and put any Debian updates on hold.

I have 4000 users so the idea of a) a version that, at least
with spam a year ago, just worked, and b) no database changes
to have to manage... no readmes to watch out for, no clients
bitching at me because their sweetly tuned and beloved bogo
has to be updated again. Again, sure I could automate and
manage this stuff under the hood but I had the experience of
a delightful system that just worked, without any issues,
for well over a year... then about 6 months ago updates and
"improvements" started to cause me grief.

> The next release will allow specifying this at creation time rather than
> at compile time, so you could just dump your transactional database,
> remove the database, reload with an option to suppress transactions and
> that's it.

That x 4000 users... again, great.

My quest remains, does anyone know where I can get a year old
version of bogofilter ?

I'd at least like to set up one server with the older version
and compare for myself against current versions whether it
really is better according to my observations and guidelines,
or not.

--markc