verify vs recover

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Feb 18 12:46:18 CET 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Tom Allison wrote:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
> >Tom Allison <tallison at tacocat.net> writes:
> >
> >>It seems that db-verify doesn't identify when db-recover should be
> >>executed.
> >
> >Evidence?
>
> Kind of hard to provide.
>
> db-verify doesn't return anything.  Assumption: no news is good news.

Yes, in the old Unix tradition. If there had been a problem, you'd been
told about it. If you want output from bogoutil --db-verify, add the -v
option:

$ cd ; bogoutil -v --db-verify .bogofilter/wordlist.db
.bogofilter/wordlist.db OK.

> bogotune complains about db corruption and the need to run db-recover.

How exactly does that look?

> That's the best evidence I can come up with for this.

OK, we're getting closer.

> I was hoping to use a test to the effect of db-verify || db-recover once
> a week before I rebuild my wordlist.  But I'm not convinced yet.

--db-verify includes --db-recover (this may need to be documented;
bogoutil documentation lags a bit behind).