verify vs recover

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Fri Feb 18 12:07:10 CET 2005

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Tom Allison <tallison at tacocat.net> writes:
>

>>It seems that db-verify doesn't identify when db-recover should be executed.
>

> Evidence?

Kind of hard to provide.

db-verify doesn't return anything.  Assumption: no news is good news.
bogotune complains about db corruption and the need to run db-recover.
still db-verify doesn't return anything to indicate a problem.
running db-recover anyways doesn't return anything so I guess whatever
it needed to recover it recovered.
running bogotune after this db-recover complete successfully implying to
me that the db-recover did something that was effective despite the
silence of db-verify.

That's the best evidence I can come up with for this.

I was hoping to use a test to the effect of db-verify || db-recover once
a week before I rebuild my wordlist.  But I'm not convinced yet.