catastrophic recovery required

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Feb 17 00:20:07 CET 2005

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Today, *exactly* the same message (taken from the spam-unsure folder as
> before) processed cleanly through the same bogofilter command.  What the
> heck is going on?

Faulty cooling or RAM perhaps. I'd probably run memtest86 as soon as
possible, if the machine turns out to have faulty RAM, don't turn it
back on for production use until you have replaced the RAM, to avoid
further damage.

If you have ECC memory, it's easier, check the logs. goemon has a
website on Linux and ECC.

It's also worthwhile checking all fans for proper speed and perhaps
clean the exhaust guides and cooling fins of the heatsinks. You won't
believe how many 'wool mice' (dust flakes) you can scare up after only
three months of use.