catastrophic recovery required

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Thu Feb 17 00:02:02 CET 2005

On 16-Feb-2005, Ben Finney wrote:
> I've since realised that it's specific messages causing the problem.
> Here's a (hopefully more informative) session:
>
> =====
> $ bogofilter -Ns < $HOME/Mail/.spam-unsure/cur/1108518134.4631_2.iris\:2\,S
> checksum error: page 995: catastrophic recovery required
> [...]
>
> $ bogoutil --db-prune $HOME/.bogofilter/
>
> $ bogofilter -Ns < $HOME/Mail/.spam-unsure/cur/1108518134.4631_2.iris\:2\,S
> checksum error: page 995: catastrophic recovery required
> [...]
> =====
>
> I've backed up the $HOME/.bogofilter/ directory, and the problematic
> message, for further forensics if that helps.

Today, *exactly* the same message (taken from the spam-unsure folder as
before) processed cleanly through the same bogofilter command.  What the
heck is going on?

The only thing that's happened to the $HOME/.bogofilter/ folder in the
meantime, apart from many other messages being successfuly processed, is
my nightly cron job:

=====
$ crontab -l | grep bogo
0 1     * * *   bogoutil --db-prune $HOME/.bogofilter
=====

i.e., exactly the same command that *didn't* change the problem
yesterday.

How on earth do I diagnose this heisenbug?

--
 \       "Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."  -- Donald |
  `\                                              Robert Perry Marquis |