catastrophic recovery required

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Sat Feb 5 07:02:57 CET 2005

Howdy all,

Today a run of bogofilter tells me "catastrophic recovery required".

=====
$ bogoutil -v --db-recover-harder /home/bignose/.bogofilter
checksum error: page 2004: catastrophic recovery required
PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
wordlist.db: pgin failed for page 2004
unable to create/retrieve page 2004
PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
Recovery function for LSN 47 489705 failed on forward pass
PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
bogoutil: DB_ENV->open, err: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
To recover, run: bogoutil -v --db-recover "/home/bignose/.bogofilter"

$ bogofilter --version
bogofilter version 0.93.5
    Database: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.27: (December 22, 2004)
[...]
=====

So, the recovery command itself fails, and recommends I run recovery.

What are my options from here?  How can I further diagnose this?

--
 \            "If you continue running Windows, your system may become |
  `\                 unstable."  -- Microsoft, Windows 95 BSOD message |