All mails have spamicity=0.5200000

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Dec 12 16:13:48 CET 2005

Robin Bowes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently (6th Dec) moved to bogofilter 1.0.0 and ended up starting
> again with an empty wordlist.
>
> I'm running bogofilter from maildrop like this:
>
> BOGOFILTER="/usr/bin/bogofilter"
> BOGOARGS="-e -p -u -d"
> BOGODIR=/path/to/home/dir/.bogofilter
> xfilter "${BOGOFILTER} ${BOGOARGS} ${BOGODIR}"
>
> Since then, I've accepted around 3000 msgs. I'm manually training by
> dropping spam into a Spam/Undetected folder and processing this from a
> cron job using the following command:
>
>  $BOGOFILTER -Ns -d $BOGODIR < $message
>
> However, all msgs are still only getting a spamicity rating of 0.520000.
> It looks to me like something's not quite right.
>
> Any suggestions?

1. -Ns is only correct if the spam message(s) had previously been registered as
"good" (ham). If it was "unsure", use only "-s" without "-N".

2. you absolutely must train bogofilter what "good" (ham) messages look like,
and the ratio of ham and spam messages you trained should roughly match the
ratio of ham vs. spam you get. In doubt, train more ham messages to avoid false
"spam" tagging.

Looking at your statistics, it seems that bogofilter has not been trained for
"good" mails at all.