cannot join environment: Invalid argument (after update)

Markus Trippelsdorf markus at trippelsdorf.de
Tue Dec 6 07:47:46 CET 2005

Hi David,
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 06:49:42PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 23:02:34 +0000 (UTC)
> Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
>
> > I updated to version 1.0 and now get the following error:
> > bogofilter[898]: cannot join environment: Invalid argument
> > (the number changes)
> >
> > I did run "bogoutil --db-remove-environment ~/.bogofilter" before the
> > update and switched from Berkeley DB 4.3 to 4.4.
> > Bogofilter seems to function normally, but is there a way to get rid of
> > this error message?
> The switch from DB 4.3 to 4.4 is most likely the problem.  Berkeley DB
> is complaining about incompatible file formats.  If I recall correctly,
> it's complaining about log files.
>
> The best thing to do is, using the old bogoutil, dump the wordlist to a
> text file and then (using the new bogoutil create a new wordlist in a
> new directory).  Then you can rename directories and be off and
> running.  The process would be (roughly):
>    bogoutil-old -d $OLD_DIR/wordlist.db > wordlist.txt
>    mkdir $NEW_DIR
>    bogoutil-new -l $NEW_DIR/wordlist.db < wordlist.txt

Just using the current version of bogoutil in both instances did the
trick. Thank you.
Looking through my logs, it seems to me that the db switch did not
cause the problem, but rather a " bf_compact ~/.bogofilter wordlist.db"
command that i ran later. After the update to 1.0 bogofilter issued no
error messages, they first appeared after I compacted the database...
--
Markus