cannot join environment: Invalid argument (after update)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Dec 6 00:49:42 CET 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 23:02:34 +0000 (UTC)
Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:

> I updated to version 1.0 and now get the following error:
> bogofilter[898]: cannot join environment: Invalid argument
> (the number changes)
>
> I did run "bogoutil --db-remove-environment ~/.bogofilter" before the
> update and switched from Berkeley DB 4.3 to 4.4.
> Bogofilter seems to function normally, but is there a way to get rid of
> this error message?
> --
> Markus

Hi Markus,

The switch from DB 4.3 to 4.4 is most likely the problem.  Berkeley DB
is complaining about incompatible file formats.  If I recall correctly,
it's complaining about log files.

The best thing to do is, using the old bogoutil, dump the wordlist to a
text file and then (using the new bogoutil create a new wordlist in a
new directory).  Then you can rename directories and be off and
running.  The process would be (roughly):

   bogoutil-old -d $OLD_DIR/wordlist.db > wordlist.txt
   mkdir $NEW_DIR
   bogoutil-new -l $NEW_DIR/wordlist.db < wordlist.txt

Of course with both executables present you could do:

   mkdir $NEW_DIR
   bogoutil-old -d $OLD_DIR/wordlist.db | bogoutil-new -l $NEW_DIR/wordlist.db

Looking at this, the thought comes to mind that bogofilter should
install as $NAME-1.0.0 and create a symlink from $NAME to $NAME-1.0.0
(where NAME is bogofilter, bogoutil, bogolexer, etc).  The plus side of
doing this is that database problems are easier to handle.  The down
side is that /usr/bin (or wherever) can become littered with old
program versions.

HTH,