bogofilter installation on debian

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Sat Dec 3 18:11:49 CET 2005

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> writes:

> Zhenyu Zhong wrote:
>> Thanks a lot.
>> Since I am trying to build the bogofilter from scratch on DEBIAN, I have
>> automake v1.4-p6 , autoconf v 2.13. I don't know if they are too old. But
>> these are the latest version I can find on debian.
>> I tried using the configure script from the ftp site. I can run the
>> configure successfully. But when I go to ./src and do make, it complains
>> "Makefile:17611: *** missing separator.  Stop."
>>
>> Any idea on what is going on?
>
> Your tools are definitely too old. If you have downloaded the tarball, use
> ./configure (and not ./autogen.sh) to configure bogofilter. If you wish to
> build from CVS, you will, unfortunately, have to install newer automake and
> autoconf versions.

It would be helpful to tell us what distribution are you using. Your
versions seem to indicate that you're running a version prior to
woody! I was going to ask *why* you're building bogofilter when
installing it with apt is so easy. But I'm going to guess it's because
you can't find a bogofilter .deb for your system.

In this case, your time is better spent updating your system to sarge
than trying to compile bogofilter.

Bogofilter is in backports, so if you do have woody, you can add the
following to your /etc/apt/sources.list and use apt-get/aptitude to
install bogofilter:

  deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ woody bogofilter

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD