No X-Bogosity Gen'd in Headers

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Apr 28 05:21:19 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:42:33 -0400
JoeHill wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:25:19 -0400
> David Relson disseminated the following:
>
> > > I've been over the manpage and FAQ, but cannot see where I am going wrong.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Hi Joe,
> >
> > I bet you want to add the X-Bogosity line to the message's headers,
> > right?  For that you need to use the '-p' (passthrough) option.
> >
> > Take another look at what you've been reading and see if (1)
> > passthrough is there and (2) if the description is adequate or not.
>
> You got me :-/, I missed that.
>
> > As a newbie, your feedback on difficulties like this is very valuable
> > -- and helps us improve the docs.
>
> Well, I don't quite understand anything after the first sentence of the
> passthrough explanation, but of course that has little to do with the quality of
> the documentation, if you catch my meaning.
>
> So, I'm thinking it should be:
>
> :0HB:
> * ? bogofilter -v -u -p
> $MAILDIR/bogospam

It's not necessary to use both '-v' and '-p'.  "bogofilter -v < msg"
will just print the X-Bogosity line while "bogofilter -p < msg" prints
the whole message with the X-Bogosity line added at the end of the
message header.

Using both, i.e. "-p -v", increases the verbosity of the output.  To
see that effect, run bogofilter from a command line.

Also, programs like procmail and maildrop care about a program's return
code, with 0 meaning success (in this case success is "spam found") and
1 meaning failure ("ham found").  A non-zero return code will affect
what procmail does next.  Moral:  add '-e' so that bogofilter always
exits with a zero.

> ...but then I see this the stuff about 'pipes' and 'sockets', and...

Yeah, that performance/efficiency info is pretty hard to read.  Perhaps
the following is easier:

The -p (passthrough) option outputs the message with an X-Bogosity line
at the end of the message header.  This requires keeping the entire
message in memory when it's read from stdin (via a pipe or socket).  If
the message is in a file, bogofilter can read it a second time.

Regards,