Copying db to another host

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Mon Apr 25 01:00:46 CEST 2005

I just upgraded bogofilter on my mail host (to 0.93.5 from Debian's
backports.org). It used to be a non-transactional version .91. My
laptop on the other hand uses a transactional 0.94.

Despite the difference in versions and database type, I used to be
able to simply copy wordlist.db from my laptop (where training occurs)
upstream to my mail host (where filtering occurs). However, after I
upgraded bogofilter on my mail host, this stopped working.

First I copied my entire .bogofilter directory to my mail host. That
didn't work:

  [wohler at tassie:502]$ bogoutil --db-verify wordlist.db
  Ignoring log file: ./log.0000000075: unsupported log version 10
  PANIC: Invalid argument
  Ignoring log file: ./log.0000000075: unsupported log version 10
  PANIC: Invalid argument
  bogoutil: Cannot recover environment ".": DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Then I ran "bogoutil -d wordlist.db >| wordlist.txt" on my laptop,
copied wordlist.txt to my mail host, and then ran "bogoutil -l
wordlist.db < wordlist.txt" on my mail host. That worked! (I also had
to run "bogoutil --db-prune ~/.bogofilter" to remove 75 MB of log
files.)

Before I update my scripts that update my bogofilter database on my
mail host, could someone please confirm that this is an acceptable
procedure to copy a bogofilter database to another host.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD