bf_compact leaving possibly huge backup

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Apr 24 22:18:43 CEST 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:

> bf_compact does create a backup of the old database. This
> certainly is useful, but it might cause serious problems if
> the quota is tight.

Indeed. You need to provide room for twice the database plus - if using
a journalled database with Berkeley DB (if the original database used
transactions) or SQLite3 - the journals for bf_compact to succeed.

> I understand (hopefully correctly;-) that to compact we need
> to generate a new copy of the database.

Sort of. This works because we load the new tokens in alphabetic order,
which is more efficient than a database growing over time.

> So the quota must be sufficient to do that. There is probably no way
> around that.

> But in the end it would help to not have backup if unwanted.
> So an option to not keep a backup would be much appreciated.

You can just remove the backup after running the script.