Large Scale

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Apr 7 22:40:36 CEST 2005

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005, Jason A. Smith wrote:

> There are arguments both for and against this, so why not let people do
> what they prefer?  For example, top posting allows people who have been
> following the thread to immediately see a person's new contribution
> without searching through the possibly long quoted text for the non-
> quoted pieces.

Which is a reason to not quote at all, for...

> Then if you don't remember the original post, you can
> always refer down below to the quoted piece to refresh your memory,

...if I need to do either to refresh context, I don't want to scroll
down, jump to different articles in the common case or do anything else
that costs time. If it gets too cumbersome (I'm pretty sensitive,
getting dozens of messages a day), I'll just skip the whole thread.

If someone cuts down the quoting to a reasonable amount, and replies
interleaved between the paragraphs, that is the format I can read
quickest. Different colors and blank line between quoted and new
material make it quick to skip the quoted stuff and see context without
scrolling, and let me just scroll once through the whole message to get
it, no forth and back.

> otherwise you can easily ignore it

Right, which is what I usually do. (Please excuse my ripping the quote
out of its original context.)

Many people just top-post because their mailer puts the cursor above by
default, without having ever thought about it. Not intentionally , it's
just the easiest or most natural thing to do with some mailers.

> remember.  Also, since most people don't bother to trim quoted text, I
> much prefer that they at least top-post.

Full quote is evil no matter if it's a top-post or bottom. (Full quote
with text at bottom and three screenfuls of signature anyone? That's
most evil.)

Remember, bogofilter support is a voluntary and unpaid effort, anything
that complicates matters for me reduces my motivation to look into a
particular thread.  Please don't make life harder for us supporters.

Thank you.