GETTING.STARTED

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Sep 29 13:54:01 CEST 2004

Recently I've spent some time helping newbies get started with
bogofilter.  While we've got info on getting BF installed, the info on
getting it up and running is incomplete and is inadequate for a class of
users.

I'm thinking we need a GETTING.STARTED document and would like
suggestions of what to include.  If you're a new user of BF, what would
you like included?  What problems did you encounter and how did you
overcome them?

I've included some ideas below.  Additional suggestions are requested.

What do _you_ remember as a "stumbling block" that should be included?

Regards,

1. Install
   rpm -ivh bogofilter
   apt-get bogofilter

   get tarball, unpack it, run:

     ./configure && make && make check && make install

2. Familiarization and initial training

   default wordlist directory: $HOME/.bogofilter, e.g.
/home/john/.bogofilter

   Initial training:
      more is better
      sample commands:

       bogofilter -vn< ham.message.file
       bogofilter -vnM < ham.message.mbox
       bogofilter -vnMB < ham.maildir

       bogofilter -vs < spam.message.file
       bogofilter -vsM < spam.message.mbox
       bogofilter -vsMB < spam.maildir

   Useful commands:

   To display wordlist contents:
      bogoutil -d ~/.bogofilter/wordlist.db

   To display message counts:
      bogoutil -w ~/.bogofilter .MSG_COUNT

   To test scoring of individual words:

      echo show these words | bogofilter -H -vvv
     or:
      bogoutil -p ~/.bogofilter show these words

   To see the tokens and their spamicity scores for a message:

     bogofilter -vvv < message

3. Integration with Mail Delivery Agent

   If using postfix, see file doc/integrating-with-postfix
   If using qmail, see file doc/integrating-with-qmail