Database is borked, need help

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Sep 23 00:23:35 CEST 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Chris wrote:

> I tried to teach my database that a certain email was not spam using:
> bogofilter -n <filename.  It freaked out and told me:
>
> RECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Was that the exact error message? It _should_ have printed
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery.

Has a previous run of bogofilter printed errors such as out of memory,
lock table full (or exhausted) or similar?

Are you running bogofilter with Postfix? If so, how large are the files
in your ~/.bogofilter directory? Anything close to 10 MB or above?

> Anyone have any idea how to do this?

Yes, I do. :)

1. What were the lines after bogofilter -n <filename and before the
   error message, if any?

2. Which version _exactly_ are you using?
   Just look at the first two lines of the output of "bogofilter -V" and
   post them. Please also post the output of "env | grep BOGOFILTER", if
   there is any.

   a. If bogofilter -V output contains "txn" inside the version number
   (first line), you have the TRANSACTIONAL version.

   b. If bogofilter -V output does not contain "txn", but "env | grep
   BOGOFILTER" has printed BOGOFILTER_CONCURRENT_DATA_STORE,
   you have the CONCURRENT version.

   c. If bogofilter -V output does not contain "txn", and "env | grep
   BOGOFILTER" prints nothing, you have the TRADITIONAL or CLASSIC
   version.

To recover, stop all bogofilter/bogoutil/bogotune processes that access
the same data base, then type "db_recover -h ~/.bogofilter". If it
prints nothing, fine.

If that db_recover has printed an error AND you have the TRANSACTIONAL
version (i. e. txn inside the first line of "bogofilter -V"'s output),
try "db_recover -c -h ~/.bogofilter". (The -c won't help for bogofilter
versions that don't print +txn.)

After recovery, type "db_verify ~/.bogofilter/wordlist.db", it should
print nothing. If it prints an error with DB_ something, you'll
unfortunately need to rebuild the data base from scratch.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)