many spams suddenly getting through

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Sep 13 18:35:34 CEST 2004

Trevor Smith <trevor at haligonian.com> writes:

> I've been using bogofilter on a one-person machine for a month or so and it
> works very well (only a few spams sneak through each day out of a few hundred
> email; no false positives yet). Suddenly, yesterday and today, massive
> amounts of spams are getting through. Just now, 12 spams did *not* get spammy
> enough spamicity scores to get "caught". This is out of about 80 emails total
> that just came in, 60 of them *were* marked as spam. Results  throughout the
> day yesterday were similar.
>
> The messages are getting scored, there is just suddenly a huge increase in the
> number of spams that are getting by my db. This seems bizarre.
>
> Ideas why this might happen?

Has your database become corrupt? Try:

bogoutil -d ~/.bogofilter/wordlist.db >/dev/null
db_verify ~/.bogofilter/wordlist.db

Both should not produce any output.

Then, check
bogoutil -d ~/.bogofilter/wordlist.db 2>&1 | less

and see if it looks complete lexicographically.

If anything is missing, you need to rebuild the data base from scratch.
And if DB corruption was your problem, the TXN branch may help avoiding
the need to rebuild the DB from scratch.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)