Virus on the list

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Oct 30 05:02:52 CEST 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:37:44 +0200
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > Your message is appreciated.  As you say, it happens.  I've not felt
> > the need for virus checking.  I've trained bogofilter on a number of
> > viruses and it catches most of them.  When I set up postfix,
> > procmail, and bogofilter, I expected that all incoming mail would be
> > scanned by bogofilter.  Mail to osagesoftware.com _is_ being
> > scanned, but mail to bogofilter.org is not (confirmed by looking at
> > mailman's held messages).
> >  Have you any idea why that might be?
>
> I have started to use amavisd-new (inside Postfix) with clamav,
> another open-source virus checker, which catches some of the known
> junk without bogofilter needing to be trained for it.

This month, so far, bogofilter has caught 41 virus laden messages
including 2 instances of W32/bable.  I've not done any training designed
to produce this result.

An oddity in my mail setup is that messages sent to osagesoftware are
processed by bogofilter but messages sent to bogofilter.org are not.  I
see nothing obvious in my postfix/procmail setup to explain that.  Have
you any ideas why the two domains might be treated differently?