language

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Thu Oct 28 08:56:34 CEST 2004

Gyepi SAM <gyepi at praxis-sw.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 10:14:34PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
>> Gyepi SAM <gyepi at praxis-sw.com> writes:
>>
>> > I would expand contractions as well:
>> That's old school. Most publishers have relaxed that restriction,
>
> I have always been thought older than my years. Now I know it to be true ;)
>
> Language discussions of this sort can never be resolved. Once you and I put
> aside our differences and agree on some acceptable subset of the language,
> some young pup will wade in with an entirely new way of saying the same old
> things.
>
> My policy on such matters of language and usage is simple.
> When asked, I shall offer my opinion. Otherwise I shall keep my counsel and
> communicate as best as I know how regardless of what others choose to do.

So true.

But since the only constant in the universe is change, being able to
adapt is a good thing.

I've been known to change my old ways if a preponderance of evidence
comes to bear. For example, I used to avoid contractions myself and put
two spaces after the period ;-). You might even catch me splitting an
infinitive or ending a sentence with a preposition now and again
although I don't think that usage is 100% prevalent.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD