Using bogofilter with local Maildirs (and offlineimap)

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Thu Oct 7 15:40:55 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:00:03AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Gyepi SAM <gyepi at praxis-sw.com> writes:

>You need maildircmd and safecat [1], both written by Len Budney.

> Safecat has a difficult license that makes _assumptions_ on how DJB has
> licensed his code that Len Budley took into safecat, when in fact DJB
> hasn't issued a license at all; and may be a possible copyright
> violation.

According to the safecat man page, the code was written from scratch
after studying the qmail implementation. IANAL, but that would imply
that DJB has no rights to any safecat code.

> Also note that while Len Budley touts safecat as being really safe, but
> has still not implemented a bullet-proof mechanism to generate file
> names that are guaranteed to be collision free. It works today, but may
> not work on a faster computer or after an OS update on a fast computer.

Hmm, good point. Possible solution below.

> > Here's how I have solved a similar problem:

> >   maildircmd Maildir/spool "" "bogofilter $bogofilter_options| \
> >     safecat Maildir/inbox/tmp Maildir/inbox/new
> >
> > Ideally, you would want to filter your mail into separate mailboxes.
> > That's where procmail or mailfilter come in.
>
> Or maildrop.

Sorry, that's what I meant. In fact, with maildrop, one can eliminate safecat
altogether. As I recall, maildrop generates collision free maildir filenames.

-Gyepi