perl script - bogofilter /smtp daemon

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Nov 18 12:24:16 CET 2004

Robin Bowes <robin-lists at robinbowes.com> writes:

> If you use qmail (or postfix, I think) then I can highly recommend
> qpsmtpd (http://smtpd.develooper.com/). It's a drop in replacement for
> qmail-smtpd (and it also works with postfix, I think)

It claims to use a Postfix protocol module, whatever that means.

Using Postfix (instead of qmail) is recommended for various reasons,
half of them are outlined at
http://home.pages.de/~mandree/qmail-bugs.html - most important flaw in
qmail nowadays is the "delayed bounces" behavior - and I'm not sure if
qpsmtpd can fix this. If it doesn't, it's useless. Postfix's default
smtpd module rejects mail for unknown users at the front door, since
Postfix 2.0.0 (2.1.5 appears current).

> One particularly useful plugin is "denylog" which logs details of
> messages that are blocked so you can see easily just which messages are
> being rejected. For example:

Postfix also logs reject detail.

> As the OP said, good though bogofilter is, blocking as much spam as
> possible at the initial SMTP conversation is a Good Idea (tm).

Yes, if you can avoid false positives. If flawed concepts such as "SPF"
or "DUL" or revengeful black lists are used, the whole concept of email
via SMTP is in danger.