[OT] Re: dnsbl

Jef Poskanzer jef at acme.com
Wed Nov 10 18:19:11 CET 2004

>If you know of specific lists to avoid, though, please speak up.

Ok, since you ask: you're using the rfc-ignorant lists.  They listed
acme.com on their postmaster, dsn, and abuse lists because of a single
connection-timed-out test message.  This was when acme was being hit
by a major worm outbreak, so mail was taking a few retries and a few
days to get through.  When I noticed the bogus listings months later,
I asked them nicely to remove it.  It took a week of increasingly heated
email to get them to comply.

During the exchange I asked the following:

    Please quote me the RFC provision that requires I avoid outages
    lasting more than three days.

They did not deign to reply to this.

I have heard equivalent stories about basically every DNS list.
Even the ones that started out with reasonable policies seem to
inevitably get taken over by the power freaks.  You really should
avoid them all.
---
Jef

         Jef Poskanzer  jef at acme.com  http://www.acme.com/jef/