[OT] Re: dnsbl

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Nov 10 17:51:37 CET 2004

This is why I suggested only the objective lists created by directly testing
for open proxies/relays and bad MX setups, and also well-known spammers (if
you want).  I specifically warned against subjective lists which take user
input, or those which list dynamic IP ranges from ISPs.  I've been
monitoring my logs for FPs, and I haven't gotten any yet.  Most of the
addresses are obvious spammers, like letsgohome.biz, t3media.net,
ideal-opps.com, etc., and of course IP-only addresses.  Moreover, sendmail
will bounce any rejected mail with the message saying why it was rejected,
and where to go to stop being rejected.  If someone legitimate is trying to
contact you, they'll know they didn't get through (unlike a bad Bogofilter
classification which could be simply deleted), and they'll either contact
the dnsbl owner to get removed, or they'll contact you in another way, like
by phone or alternate email provider.  For this reason, I'm less concerned
about false positives.  If you know of specific lists to avoid, though,
please speak up.  I've been warned against using SpamCop due to their use of
user submissions.  And as I've said, I would avoid any that list dynamic IP
ranges from ISPs.

Tom