Setup help: UW-imap and default folders (RH 9)

Todd Slater dontodd at columbus.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 16:09:11 CET 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 11:14:28AM -0800, Chris Wilkes wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:39:13PM -0500, Todd Slater wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 07:59:14PM -0800, Chris Wilkes wrote:

> So what you could do is create a dummy account and populate it with
> email in the various folders like you did.  Then recreate those
> file/folders under /etc/skel/ .  Perhaps there's a way to personalize it
> by putting in the real person's name?  Like I said I haven't used skel
> that much.

I went ahead and created a dummy account and set up the Mail folder structure,
copied it to /etc/skel/ and it worked fine. I was worried about
permissions and such. I also had to copy ~/.mailboxlist to /etc/skel/ so
users would see the folders as "subscribed" in SquirrelMail.

> > Maybe I need to use qmail or postfix?
>
> Nope, no need -- although I would recommend looking into using maildir
> format (all mail servers can save local user's email in this way).
> You'll also have to use a maildir-aware IMAP server if you go this
> route.

I use maildir for my personal stuff (different box) so I'm familiar with
it, but it looks like UW doesn't do maildir. I'll have to read up on
Courier and Cyrus. I'm discovering a problem with mbox in that when I've
done training with bogofilter with Maildir I typically process the mail
and move it to another folder. With mbox I haven't quite figured out how to
move individual mails, such as from a MakeJunk folder, to the Junk folder
after processing via a script.

> Are you creating these directories so that a user will see them through
> IMAP and squirrelmail?  You might also want to look into incorporating
> into your script that creates a user a process to mail them a "welcome
> to the mail server" email which will always go into their INBOX and
> another one that will always go into their spam.

Good idea, I was planning on an email anyway but it makes more sense to
do it automatically when creating the user account.

Todd