database copying and compacting

Boris 'pi' Piwinger 3.14 at piology.org
Tue Nov 9 15:24:00 CET 2004

Matthias Andree said:

> The documentation is all there, but pointers to it were badly
> communicated.
>
> We've unfortunately had a mess of release-relevant documentation, all
> the various CHANGES*, NEWS*, RELEASE.NOTES* files - I have now
> consolidated all this into the user-relevant RELEASE.NOTES (up to date
> WRT 0.93, points to README.db that mentions the issues with step-by-step
> procedures to address them) and a more technical but also more detailed
> NEWS file.

So this still seems to cause confusion. I looked at some and found that
I was flooded with information I don't understand about databases. And
honestly, I don't want to work that out. I believe I am not the only
one who would just like to see a brief dummy description of what exactly
needs to be done in just one file to apply the IARTPFWTSIOWIM principle.

I remember we once hat some bogoupgrade.pl (I never used it, though).
This might be a handy approach here. Similarly, tasks like compacting
the database should hide the dirty bits to the user (like: bogoutil
--compact <databse_directory>).

I know this a very consumer oriented view and asks for a lot. But I always
think about if we want people to use bogofilter who are not experts on
various underlying programs.

pi